Kimchi and beef go together like ham and eggs, so inevitably someone in Korea came up with the kimchi burger, and just as inevitably I came across it on the internet one evening and fell in love. I spent months developing my version – from the kimchi to the addition of braised beef and cheese, it’s the Marmite of burgers, either loved or loathed.
800 g burger mince brisket
4 pc burger Buns
50 ml mustard mayonnaise (50:50 mix of mustard and mayonnaise)
4 pc leaves of Bibb (Butterhead ) lettuce
4 pc large dessertspoons Kimchi
4 pc thin slices Ogleshield or Cheddar cheese
Maldon sea flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Blend together the minced meat with salt and pepper and form 4 loose patties.
- Grill the patties until charred and cooked pink, or done.
- Spilt and toast the buns directly over a hot side of the grill until browned, about 30 seconds.
- Spread the mustard mayonnaise on the bottom half of each toasted bun. Add a lettuce leaf to each one, followed by a spoonful of Kimchi.
- Stack a burger patty on top of the kimchi, followed by a toasted bun lid to finish.